Inspection Checklist for Concrete Placement | Pre Placement & Post Placement
In this Article today we will talk about the Inspection Checklist for Concrete Works | Inspection Checklist for Concrete Placement | Concrete Pour Checklist Excel | Pre Concrete Inspection Checklist | Post Concrete Inspection Checklist | Concrete Slab Inspection Checklist
Stages of Inspection of Concrete Works:
Inspection of concrete is done in 3 stages,
- Pre-placement | Formwork & Material Receiving Inspection
- During placement | Concrete Placement Inspection
- Post-placement | Final Acceptance and Testing Inspection
- Forms shall be substantial and sufficiently tight to prevent leakage of mortar from the concrete. Contractor shall use sufficient nailing, bolting, welding, shoring, whalers, form clamps and forming of adequate strength to contain the fluid concrete without noticeable deflection, leaning or bulging. (ACI 347-04, Sec. 3.1.1)
- Irregularities in formwork surfaces measured with a 1.5m straightedge shall not exceed: 3mm for Class A surfaces exposed to public view; 6mm for Class B areas to be plastered; 13mm for Class C where appearance does not matter; 25mm for Class D permanently hidden concrete surfaces. (ACI 347-04, Sec. 3.4, Table 3.1)
- Joints not specified on IFC Drawings shall be installed to maintain the Architectural Finished appearance, shall have prior approval by the Client representative.
- Paving or slab construction joints not specified on the drawings, shall be located at column centerlines and at intermediate intervals so that each panel shall not be more than 55m2 in area.
- Waterstops shall be provided in joints where watertight construction is required; waterstops shall be as shown on IFC Drawings or as specified by Client.
- Joint filler strips shall be made from cellulose fibers or cork securely bound together by a suitable asphaltic binder, sponge rubber, or PVC and the type shall be as called out on the IFC Drawings. (ASTM D1751 or ASTM D1752).
Concrete Receiving, Sampling & Testing Inspection:
- All ready-mix concrete shall be delivered to the site with a batch ticket listing the following:
- Name of the ready-mix company
- Serial number of the ticket, date, truck number
- Name of purchaser
- Name of the job and location
- Client mix design number
- Amount of concrete in cubic meters (or yards)
- Time of loading if wet mix
- Reading of the revolution counter at the first addition of water
- Type, brand and amount of cement, silica fume, aggregates and
- Total Mixing Water
- Maximum Size of Aggregate
- Mass of fine and course aggregate
- Signature or initials of producer’s representative
- Concrete shall be discharged from the mixer within 90 minutes or before the drum has revolved 300 revolutions, whichever comes first after the introduction of mixing water to the cement & aggregates or introduction of cement to the aggregates.
- Concrete delivered at a temperature in excess of 32°C or that fails to maintain a temperature of 32°C until used, shall be rejected.
- No aluminum parts shall be placed in contact with concrete during mixing or delivery.
- Slump and cylinder test samples shall be taken from the end of the mixture truck chute or at the discharge point of the concrete placement hose when concrete pumps are used. Inspection Checklist for Concrete Works
- Strength tests as well as slump, temperature, density and air content tests (when required by the specifications) shall be made with a frequency of not less than one test for each 115 m³. Each test shall be made from a separate batch. On each day concrete is delivered, at least one strength test shall be made for each class of concrete.
- The minimum required number of concrete test cylinders for strength tests shall be:
Age (Days) | No. of Cylinders
Concrete Placement Inspection:
- Equipment made of aluminum alloys shall not be used for pump lines, tremies or chutes used to discharge concrete from a truck mixer.
- Concrete shall not be placed prior to a recorded pre-placement inspection and authorization to proceed by Client.
- Experienced form watchers shall be provided during concrete placement to detect form displacement or the beginning of failure. (ACI 347-04, Sec. 3.1)
- Raking shall not be used for movement of concrete after placement.
- Vibrators shall not be used to move concrete inside forms. Concrete Pour Checklist Excel
- Retempering of concrete after placement is prohibited.
- Concrete that has partially hardened or been contaminated by foreign materials shall not be deposited in the structure. (ACI 301-05 para. 188.8.131.52)
- Concrete shall not be dropped freely where reinforcing will cause segregation nor where it would fall freely for more than 1 meter.
- Placed concrete shall be consolidated by mechanical vibration equipment supplemented by hand spading, rodding or tamping.
- When Immersion type vibrators are used to consolidate concrete around epoxy coated reinforcing bars, the vibrators should be equipped with rubber or non-metalic vibrator heads. (ASTM A775/A775M-06, Sec. XI.3.15)
- Place concrete in layers not to exceed 450mm thick and consolidate. (ACI 301M-05, Sec. 184.108.40.206)
- Concrete shall be placed on a clean surface free of standing water.
- Precast concrete or mortar spacing blocks or bar supports are prohibited.
- After completing placing and finishing operations, efforts must continue to protect concrete from high temperatures, direct sunlight, low humidity, and drying winds. (ACI 305R-99, Sec. 4.4.1)
- Concrete paving shall have control joints or construction joints located at a maximum spacing of 6 meters on center in both directions.
- Expansion joints shall be used in paving adjacent to all poured in place concrete members.
- Paving or slab construction joints not specified on the IFC Drawings, shall be located at column centerlines and at intermediate intervals so that each panel shall not be more than 55m2 in area.
- Contraction or isolation joints shall be provided to divide structurally plain concrete members into flexurally discontinuous elements. (ACI 318M-08, Sec. 220.127.116.11)
- Paving or slab construction joints not specified on the IFC Drawings, shall meet all requirements for architectural concrete matching the grade and type of finish present in the adjacent concrete. Concrete Pour Checklist Excel
Final Acceptance and Testing Inspection:
- Water curing shall be continuous until the compressive strength has reached 70% of the specified strength, but not less than 7 days after placement.
- Continuous water cure can be provided by covering with wet burlap and plastic; The saturated burlap shall be covered with a plasticized sheet vapor barrier, minimum 0.15 mm (6 mils) in thickness (Polyethylene Sheeting).
- All surface defects such as cracks or honey-combing shall be filled with mortar consisting of 1 part Portland Cement of the type specified for the job and 2.5 parts fine sand and ground in smooth with a trowel or carborundum grind stone float. (ACI 515.1R, Sec. 3.2.1) Post Concrete Inspection Checklist
- Concrete specimens are made and cured in accordance with ASTM C31/ C31M.
- Compressive strength tests on cylindrical samples are performed in accordance with ASTM C39/ C39M.
- The strength tests representing each class of concrete meet the following requirements:
- The average of any three consecutive strength tests is equal to, or greater than, the specified strength, f’c and
- When the specified strength is 5000 psi (35MPa) or less, no individual strength test (average of two cylinders) is more than 500 psi (3.5MPa) below the specified strength, f’c.
- When the specified strength is greater than 5000 psi (35MPa), no individual strength test (average of two cylinders) is less than 0.90 f’c.
Concrete Slab Inspection Checklist, Concrete Slab Inspection Checklist
Full article on Inspection Checklist for Concrete Works | Inspection Checklist for Concrete Placement | Concrete Pour Checklist Excel | Pre Concrete Inspection Checklist | Post Concrete Inspection Checklist | Concrete Slab Inspection Checklist. Thank you for the full reading of this article in “The Civil Engineering” platform in English. If you find this post helpful, then help others by sharing it on social media. If any formula of BBS is missing from this article please tell me in comments.