Why Concrete Cover is Provided | Concrete Cover for Slab, Beam, Column, Walls, Footing and Bundled Bars:
In this article we will discuss about What is Concrete Cover | Slab| Walls | Beam | Column | Footing | Bundled Bars.
Concrete cover is assumed to be the first measure considered to prevent influences of aggressive elements on the reinforcement steel bars. That is why utmost cautions are needed during concrete cover thickness design and its construction.
Commonly, the thickness of concrete cover is specified based on the type of the reinforced concrete member and the environment in which the structure is constructed.
What is Concrete Cover:
Concrete Cover | In reinforced concrete, is the least distance between the surface of embedded reinforcement and the outer surface of the concrete.
Why Concrete Cover is Provided?
- Having a decent amount of cover reduces the rate of the corrosion of those reinforcement bars. If you have only 5 mm of cover – if the bar is literally just below the surface of the concrete, then that reinforcement is going to corrode away very quickly – especially if you are close to the sea. This means that the concrete will lose its strength very quickly, and a catastrophic failure might be on the cards. That’s why it is very important that the concrete does indeed have some minimal cover.
To Improve the Structural Integrity of the Concrete:
- If you have the reinforcement bar too close to the concrete, then the structural integrity of the structure will be somewhat compromised.
- If at all there is a fire, you don’t want the reinforcement bars igniting. If it does then the fire is sure to blaze out of control. That’s another reason why it’s very important that the bars some minimal distance away from the surface of the concrete. That will better enable the structure to remain in tact if at all there is a fire.
- How to Calculate Unit Weight of Steel Bars | Steel Weight Formula
- Asphalt Concrete Receiving, Placement and Testing Inspection | Wearing and Binder Course
- Site Preparation Earthwork, Excavation and Backfilling | Fill Placement
Concrete Cover for Slab:
Concrete Cover for Walls:
Concrete Cover for Column:
Concrete Cover for Beam:
Concrete Cover for Footing:
Concrete Cover for Bundled Bars:
Full article on What is Concrete Cover | Slab| Walls | Beam | Column | Footing | Bundled Bars. Thank you for the full reading of this article in “The Civil Engineering” platform in English. If you find this post helpful, then help others by sharing it on social media. If you have any question regarding article please tell me in comments.