Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing Application System
In this Article today we will talk about the Roof Waterproofing Application System | Waterproof Concrete Roof | Waterproofing in Construction | How to Waterproof Roof | Flat Concrete Roof Waterproofing | Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing | Waterproofing of Roof Slab | Roof Waterproofing Products | Waterproofing Membrane for Flat Roof
Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing:
The purpose of this method statement is to describe the measures and ways of proper application of water proofing to avoid any water or moisture to penetrate the roof slab‘ Work shall be carried out as per the IFC drawing, manufacturer recommendation and project specification. Waterproof Concrete Roof
Reference and Standard:
- Approved Material Safety & Data Sheet
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Approved protective coating Systems (APCS)
- Project Drawing Issued for Construction (IFC)
- Contractor Site Safety Plan (CSSP) Waterproofing in Construction
Material Specifications for Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing Application System:
It is a cold applied, general purpose roofing primer, formulated with highly pliable, flexible bitumen, select petroleum solvents and compounded with wetting and saturation additives. (M/S DERMABIT or BITUMAT or AWAZEL) Waterproofing in Construction
2. Bitumen Membrane:
Bituminous Modified membrane 3mm (Dermabit-3170/Bitumat-FiberloneHD or Polyflame/Awazel-PY30) high performance, pre-fabricated, modified bitumen membrane, consisting of proprietary waterproofing compound, reinforced with spun bonded nonwoven polyester mat. Waterproofing in Construction
3. Bitumen Membrane (Base Flashing with Granules):
Bituminous Modified membrane 4mm (M/S DERMABIT or BITUMAT or AWAZEL) is a superior, high performance, pre-fabricated, modified bitumen membrane, consisting of proprietary waterproofing compound, reinforced with spun bonded nonwoven polyester mat. Granule surfaced sheet. Waterproofing in Construction
4. Polyethylene Sheet:
150 Micron Polyethylene sheet M/S – UNITECH
5. Thermal Insulation Board:
Thermal insulation extruded polystyrene foam begin with solid polystyrene crystals. It gives greater comfort, enhances the values of buildings, high aging resistance meets requirement C578 Manufactured and Supplied by MMC or STYROFOAM or SAPTEX How to Waterproof Roof
6. Geo Textile Membrane:
140 g/m2 polypropylene needle punctured non-woven geotextile Manufactured and Supplied by M/S ALYAF or TEXOFIB or MATTEX. Waterproofing of Roof Slab
7. Aluminium Flashing:
1mm Aluminum Flashing bar – H14 Aluminum material M/S -UNITECH Waterproofing of Roof Slab
One Component Polyurethane Sealant M/S by CMCI or BASF or INSUWRAP
Site Planning and Preperation:
- New concrete shall be cured according to ACI 308 and have sufficient time allowed for drying.
- Remove grease, oil and other penetrating contaminants. Prepare surface in accordance with ASTM D4259 (abrasive blasting, mechanical abrading or water blasting).
- Remove concrete curing compounds if not compatible, form release material or concrete hardeners not compatible with the coating
- Membrane and other materials shall be shifted to particular execution location.
- Care must be Membrane stored as per manufacturers recommendation
- Measurement shall be taken for proper cutting without wastage
- All materials that will be used shall have approval from Client before use.
- Workers must wear appropriate PPE before doing the job.
- All delivery of materials shall be stacked properly.
- Chemical substances shall be kept on the designated chemical storage area.
- Observe chemical compatibility of substances. Waterproofing of Roof Slab
Methodology: Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing Application System
- Light weight concrete to receive membrane shall be dry, free from dirt, grease, boulders etc.
- If any cracks or damages found it shall be repaired by sand cement mortar prior laying membrane
- Cant strip at edge between floor and wall shall be made around the perimeter of the roof.
- Skirting area shall be free from concrete spillage or protrusion if the surface not smooth sanding shall be done to suit the receiving membranes
- If wall edges are sharp sanding shall be done to make it blunt avoiding damage of Membrane. Waterproofing Membrane for Flat Roof
Application Of Roofing system
Water Proofing Membrane Application:
- The LWC surface shall be primed with the primer recommended by the manufacturer only on the junction between horizontal and vertical surface and on vertical surface for base flashing membrane
- Waterproofing membrane installation shall be performed using cylinder fed gas torch, trowel to seal the seams of the membrane and knife for cutting.
- For horizontal waterproofing membrane application. Two layer of 3mm thick modified bituminous membrane (DERMABIT/BITUMAT/AWAZEL) shall be first layer loosely laid on Light weight concrete adhering only on laps with an overlap of 150mm at the end and 100mm at the side. The membrane is placed in the correct torching on position then re rolled for about half of its length without changing its orientation, membrane is then un rolled again and torched on pressing the melted area against the substrate.
- After completion of first layer, Second layer laid over the first layer with the overlap at the center of first layer, this is fully bonded to first layer, and the membrane is placed in the correct torching on position then re-rolled for about half of its length without changing its orientation.
- The membrane is then un-rolled again and torched on pressing the melted area against the substrate.
- Repeat till the entire length of the membrane is bonded firmly onto the first layer in the same way with an overlap of 150mm at the end and 100mm at the side.
- For vertical application, one layer of 4mm thick modified bituminous waterproofing membrane shall be applied to all vertical surfaces of block work wall.
- Before applying the vertical waterproofing membrane, concrete surfaces shall be primed with primer recommended by the manufacturer of the membrane
- All areas of the membrane above ground on the vertical surface (Base Flashing) end shall be flashed with approved Metal flashing.
- Care must be taken over heating may cause melting which will damage the membrane
- Edge of skirting membrane shall be fixed with Aluminum Flashing plate which should be minimum 1mm thick and 50mm-60mm wide, it shall be fixed with nail and filled with One Component Polyurethane sealant at the top as approved.(M/S CMCI or BASF or INSUWRAP) Any approved sealant can be used irrelevant to the Water Proofing Membrane
- After the completion of initial inspection for laid membrane water must be filled for Leak test. The water level at the highest point of roof shall be 5cm and left for 24hrs
- Approval should be taken from on field engineer for No leakage before proceeding to the next step Waterproofing Membrane for Flat Roof
- Confirming the Nil leakage at the Membrane water shall be removed and allowed to dry followed by laying Polyethylene sheet which shall be minimum 150 micron thick, lap shall be 10 cm as per manufacturers recommendation
- After laying protection polyethylene sheet Thermal insulation shall be laid which can be PIR or XPS according to drawing and approved Thickness. Either two Layer or single layer (M/S: MMC or SAPTEX or STYROFOAM) Any manufacturers Thermal insulation can be used for any brand of waterproofing membrane
- Thermal Insulation boards shall be cut at edges accordingly and around pipes and roof drains Waterproofing Membrane for Flat Roof
Geo Textile Installation:
- After Thermal insulation Geo textile membrane (non-woven polypropylene) shall be laid over. Lap shall be minimum 5cm or as per manufacturers recommendation.
- Extend the Fabric membrane above the gravel layer minimum 50mm around the perimeter Waterproofing in Construction
- Screws with minimum Spacing of 30cm installed on vertical surface
- The polyurethane sealant used to fill top of flashing , sealant from any approved manufacturer can be used irrelevant to Thermal insulation and Bitumen Membrane
- Do not apply in snow, rain, fog, or mist; or when relative humidity exceeds 85 percent; or at temperatures less than 3 °F above the dew point; or to damp or wet surfaces. Roof Waterproofing Products
Handling and Storage:
- Store under cover, out of direct sunlight and protect from extremes of temperature. In tropical climates the product must be stored in an air-conditioned environment. As with all bituminous emulsions, some settlement will occur with prolonged storage. It is therefore, necessary to invert the drums monthly to disperse the settlement.
- Failure to comply with the recommended storage conditions may result in premature deterioration of the product or packaging. Roof Waterproofing Products
Specializing Tools and Equipment:
- Torch heating system
- Gas Cylinder
- Cutting knife
- Screw Gun
- Paint Brush
- Generator/Power source
- Water Tank
- Spade Roof Waterproofing Products
Safety: Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing Application System
- All works shall comply with the safety procedure or instruction as set out in project safety plan and municipality rules and regulations.
- PPE shall be worn by all staff or labourers.
- All operatives shall be inducted before entering the site.
- Tool box talk shall be conducted before the activity.
First Aid Measures:
- Eye contact Flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention.
- Skin contact: Remove contaminated clothes immediately. Wash affected area with soap and plenty of water.
- Inhalation: Remove affected person to fresh air. If symptoms persist get medical attention.
- Ingestion: If swallowed obtain medical attention. Wash out mouth with water. Do not induce vomiting. Obtain medical attention.
Full article on Roof Waterproofing Application System | Waterproof Concrete Roof | Waterproofing in Construction | How to Waterproof Roof | Flat Concrete Roof Waterproofing | Method Statement for Roof Waterproofing | Waterproofing of Roof Slab | Roof Waterproofing Products | Waterproofing Membrane for Flat Roof. Thank you for the full reading of this article in “The Civil Engineering” platform in English. If you find this post helpful, then help others by sharing it on social media. If any formula of BBS is missing from this article please tell me in comments.